Friday 27 July 2007

Story From A Thin Wall

Lyrics

One of the demos included on the bonus disc of the Clutching At Straws remaster that might have gone on to appear on the fifth album, had Fish stayed with the band. Parts of all of these demos were later scavenged by both parties, but I think this one came out least unscathed from it all; a pretty close approximation of the music later became "Berlin" from the Seasons End album, and the lyrics are almost word for word the same as "Family Business" from Fish's solo debut Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, both of which I got to know pretty well before ever hearing this song.

As a result, it's pretty to tell whether the seemingly awkward fit between words and music here is a sign of the fracturing relationship between the band members, or if it just sounds off to me because I'm used to hearing both in different contexts. Either way, it makes for an interesting listen on an intellectual level, but impossible for me to really feel emotionally. I've only recently got hold of these, and have barely listened to the others as of yet, but it seems like the rest of them are different enough from the songs born out of their ashes that I won't end up writing six more entries that say the same thing. Let's hope so, anyway.

No comments: